While I was at Whole Foods on Sunday grocery shopping for a boat load of fruits and veggies for my Paleo diet I thought I'd try making Stuffed Peppers as my first meal, seemed easy enough and I could stuff it with all sorts of delicious vegetables: mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and more.
So I perused the internet and landed on this guy to help me get started. But I changed around the spices and added mushrooms, spinach and fresh tomatoes. However, after the final outcome, I would definitely suggest using canned tomatoes over fresh.
1 medium Onion
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp Olive Oil + more for baking dish
1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
1 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
Black Pepper and Salt, to taste
1 can Low Sodium Diced tomatoes
3 Large Bell Pepper, haled and seeded
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Lightly oil a 9x13 glass baking dish with olive oil, set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat, add onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add ground meat, cumin, paprika, pepper and chili powder and cook until the meat is completely brown.
- Add in spinach and tomatoes until combined and remove from heat.
- Scoop meat mixture into hollowed out peppers and bake for 30 minutes